Canon EF 35 mm f/2 IS USM
- compact and solid casing,
- excellent image quality in the frame centre,
- good image quality on the edge of the APS-C sensor,
- well corrected chromatic aberration,
- moderate distortion,
- low coma on the APS-C sensor,
- negligent astigmatism,
- very good performance against bright light,
- very swift and accurate autofocus,
- efficient image stabilization.
- weak image quality on the edge of full frame at the maximum relative aperture,
- huge vignetting on full frame,
- high coma in the corners of full frame detector,
- modest accessory kit.
Comparing the lists of pros and cons of the Canon EF 35 mm f/2 IS USM and of the Canon EF 28 mm f/2.8 IS USM you can find out they are identical. It might indicate that the constructors of both devices have been guided by similar strategy. Fortunately the model with a longer focal length is equipped with the f/2.0, still sensibly fast, aperture.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The Canon EF 35 mm f/2 IS USM is undoubtedly a well done instrument, in every respect better than the elderly (presented in 1990) Canon EF 35 mm f/2. The problem is that it is also as much as three times more expensive. The price point of over 3000 PLN, and so much you must currently pay for the new Canon, is really dangerously high for two reasons. One of these reasons is called the Canon EF 35 mm F/1.4L USM. Many people might decide to add a bit and purchase a faster L series instrument which is renowned of its excellent properties; mind you, the price of second hand specimen, still in good working order, only slightly exceeds that of the new 2/35 IS. The second reason is called the Sigma A 35 mm f/1.4 DG HSM. That excellent lens can be bought for some several hundred PLN more but it features f/1.4 aperture, a bit better optics and a richer accessory kit.
The Canon 2/35 IS still has a chance to interest those who shoot movies - the image stabilization comes in handy with such an aperture value. Still its market career would be much more successful if the price was lower. The level of about 2000 PLN seems to be optimal – safely above the price point of the old 2/35 model but also significantly below the sum you have to pay for the aforementioned 1.4/35 models.